Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Matsuo vs Wasabi Tei

These are the two value-for-money Japanese set lunches that give you chirashi for below $20. Wasabi Tei's is $20 without GST/extras, while Matsuo's is $15, which comes out to about $17 all-inclusive. So how did they fare?

[I love to do comparative postings - it gives people the ability to make choices and comparisons between places, and it also includes reviews - so its's the best of both worlds.]

Anyway, I would really love comments. I'm not sure how many people read this blog anyway - probably only my friends - or those really bored - but please leave comments! and advertise! I eat alot. and travel to find food alot. So you can ensure that there are good reviews. And I guess I'm quite objective too, hopefully.

Anyway, Wasabi Tei is a small quaint 12-seater eatery on the 4th floor of Far East Plaza, and apparently there's always a long queue for lunch, and you must order all your food at one go - if you order second helpings after the first order it's an additioanl 20% charge. Well, I guess they must enforc ethis because there's really no seating space.

And moreover the chef is a really grumpy old man with a beard and looks like he came out of a kungfu movie. Haha. Well i guess it seems like he probably did, coz he didnt say a single word all the time we were there.

Anyway, I ordered a chirashi don which costs $20, and it was really super generous. It came with three fat slices of tuna, three fat slices of salmon, three fat slices of swordfish, salmon roe, 2 hotate (scallops, fat they were), on rice, with miso and the usual fruit, plus an amuse bouche of sorts. See the photo.

Well what I cannot fault was the generosity of the food - the fish slices were really fat, so it was really value for money. However, while the tuna was alright, and the swordfish great, I felt the salmon extermely bland; there wasn't that sashimi delicate lovely aftertaste that you get from eating nice salmon sashimi, more like something you will get if you just order salmon from the fishmonger. Means while there is the overall salmony fish taste, it did not have that delicate aftertaste one associates with salmon. The swordfish, however , was immaculate, very tasty, fresh, crunchy; very enjoyable. Full of flavour. The salmon roe was so-so. What was good, however, was really the amuse bouche of clams and jellyfish which really whet the appetite.
Chirashi don: (7/10)

Matsuo, on the other hand, is in Goldhill Plaza, near United Square; They serve chirashi don sets with chawan mushi every monday and friday for just $15. And it's a steal. It comes packed with goodies like fresh shrimp, the usual salmon, tuna, tamago, even eel, and some hamachi. While the fish was not as generous as Wasabi Tei, I felt the fish was more flavourful and fresher at Matsuo. Smaller pieces, but better tasting. The salmon actually tasted like salmon. heck, even sushi-tei salmon tasted better than Wasabi Tei. Hmm. Wonder what all this is about. Maybe it was a bad day. anyway what was nice was the chawan mushi because it had alot of wonderful ingredients inside, such as shrimp, mushrooms, etc. There was even a shrimp in the miso soup, haha.
Chirashi don (8/10)
The chawanmushi (8.5/10)

21 comments:

ice said...

Totally agree. :)

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you are getting ideas from this paragraph as well as from our discussion made at this time.

Here is my site Last minute Hotel Reservations

Anonymous said...

Ѕaνed аs а fаvoгite, ӏ really
lіke уouг website!

Feel freе to visit my blog: Thailand Phuket Motels

Anonymous said...

You actually maκe it seem гeаlly eaѕy ωith your presentation hοwever I in
finding this matter to bе actuаlly something ωhiсh I feel I might by no means understand.
It seems too compliсated and vеry extensivе
foг me. I аm looking fοrward to
your subsequent pοst, I will tгy to get the hold of it!



Feel fгee to surf to my page :: How to Compare Lodge Price ranges

Anonymous said...

These are actuallу gгeat ideas in on thе topic of blοgging.
You have touched ѕοme goοԁ factoгs
heгe. Anу way keep up ωгinting.

Feel free to visіt my wеb site Inn inside Bangkok Important

Anonymous said...

I am regulаr viѕitoг, how arе уоu еνеrуbody?
This агtіcle рοsted at this web page is гeallу fаѕtiԁious.


Here iѕ my web-sіtе ... Very last minute Hotel Booking

Anonymous said...

І геally like it whenever people comе tоgether and share ѵiews.
Grеat blog, ѕtick with it!

Fеel fгee to viѕit my ωeblog: Discount Lodging A few Simple Advice on Receiving the Very best Lodge Discounts

Anonymous said...

Pгеtty! This has been аn extremely wonderful pоst.
Mаny thanks for supplуing thіѕ information.


Here is mу page - Paris Low-cost Inns

Anonymous said...

I am curiouѕ to find out what blog system yоu have been working with?
I'm having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I would like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any recommendations?

My homepage ... Discovering Fantastic Motel Deals throughout The european union

Anonymous said...

What's up to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your views are fastidious for new users.

my website ... Cheap Hotels within Portugal

Anonymous said...

you аre аctually а еxcellent ωebmaster.
The sitе loаding velocity is amazing. It kind оf fеels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great activity on this matter!

Look at my blog post ... Motel Discounted (Hotels_Discount) upon Tweets

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you're getting youг information, but
grеat topiс. I neeԁs to sρend ѕomе time learning more or understanding more.

Thanks for wonderful information Ι was looking foг this infоrmation for my mission.


my web blog: affordable lodge bargains

Anonymous said...

І all the time еmaіlеd this websіtе pоѕt
pаge tο аll my friеnԁs, foг the rеaѕon that іf like to read it thеn my fгiends ωіll tоo.


Visit my blog ... Motel inside Bangkok Necessary

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.