Thursday, March 29, 2012

Stranger's Reunion (Cafe)

I'm in two minds about writing about Stranger's Reunion so early, as Ryan (the owner, a friend of mine) has told me not to do so maybe until next week, when the cafe's more 'sorted out'. It's still in its inception stages, in that it just opened on Wednesday, to no or little fanfare, but I decided to blog about the place anyway to a) give them some publicity and b) try to fulfill my commitment about trying to blog about new places first rather than wait until everyone has blogged about the place before I write my own take about it, which is, of course, pretty much superfluous. 

Located at Kampong Bahru Road, Stranger's Reunion is pretty much a hole in the wall - looking at the door you wouldn't believe that there's a cafe inside, but there is, and so, step in! (37 Kampong Bahru Road)







The interior is decked with loads of wood, minimalist, pretty "natural" in texture, really like a cafe in Melbourne - that's where Ryan really spent his university days anyway. And he's brought along that DIY feel to Singapore - the lights aren't polished, it's a homely atmosphere, but also creative as well. 

Ryan, being the Singapore barista champion for 2 years running now, is no stranger to anyone in the coffee world, as he used to work at Papa Palheta (being part of their family), i.e. Leon's cousin. He's started up his own cafe, which uses beans from Papa Palheta. The first day I went, i.e. on a Wednesday, I had a Cappuccino. This was not too bad - the milk was expertly done as Ryan's milk usually is - and as you can see from the photo, the latte art was immaculate. Very dark coffee layer on the outside with a great contrast with the milk. Very nice texture with the milk just like those in Australia. Nice. I figure that it will even better next week when he has his own blend (I know some folks from Papa's are reading this, but I am not really that fond of the present incarnation of the Terra Firma blend. It's really nutty and a little chocolatey, but that's about it, and I just wished it had a bit more complexity and a bit more acidity. 
I visited them again today and I had, this time, a "Magic" which is apparently something borrowed from Seven Seeds in Melbourne, i.e. a double ristretto with milk. This was exceptional - so good. With less milk than the cappuccino and with the coffee really shining through, it was extremely nutty, a bit chocolatey, with good body and just a well-balanced cup of coffee. Delightful. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered one more to go to savour. (8.5/10). Can't wait till the new beans get here to see what Ryan can do with them.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually do not leave a response, but after reading a few of
the remarks on "Stranger's Reunion (Cafe)". I actually do have a couple of
questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or do some of these comments appear like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online social sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of the complete urls of all your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Feel free to visit my blog post - Piezoresistive accelerometer