Monday, August 6, 2012

Le Bistrot Du Sommelier

I have always wanted to try Le Bistrot Du Sommelier for the longest time, but when you go on a popular day, you'd always need to book, and for the life of me I have never had the foresight to book early, so always when I want to go to Le Bistrot Du Sommelier on a Friday night, it would usually be full. But being a Monday night, I decided to go, and thank goodness there was still space. So me and JC went down to the restaurant to check it out.

And boy it was a nice restaurant. The decor was very rustic, with lots of photos of wine regions plastered all over the walls (in line with the "Sommelier" theme), and with a lovely wine-studded chandelier, made completely of wine glasses (and the bulb of course), and shades of marble on the walls - which made for a lovely ambience. There were alot of tables next to each other, which created a bustling, hearty atmosphere. 





I started off with some bottled sparkling water (see my latest post on sparkling water), and this time it was a different water - Chateldon, which I've personally never tried before. It was nice - clean tasting, slight minerals. (And, as you see on the left, a very nice packaging)
I was a fan of Chef Patrick's onglet beef with shallot and garlic confit ever since his time at Au Petit Salut, and so, having not yet been to his new restaurant, I had to try his onglet beef, and so I ordered it medium rare. It was quite lovely - rich flavourful beef with a very tasty and aromatic confit, which made liberal use of fresh thyme (I think it was thyme), whole cloves of garlic which went well, and of course, the shallots. It went very well with the beef - in fact I liked this dish so much at Au Petit Salut that I tried cooking it myself (with varying degrees of success), but here is still the original, and it was good. (8/10)











What was really good was the profiteroles - I was actually very impressed, especially with the choux pastry. This choux pastry was very light and fluffy, and it had the right taste - slight hint of almonds, butter, and being sweet enough. Vanilla bean ice cream wasn't bad and went well with the chocolate sauce which was definitely not just Hershey's Chocolate Sauce but their own special mix. Was a little too sweet but that didn't spoil anything. (8.5/10)

The service was excellent and in the end I had a nice chat with one of the sommeliers about wine regions as I told him that I had visited Burgundy in 2010 and he said he was going there this December to visit the vineyards, and we talked for a while about the various wine regions, my wine dinners, Cote Du Rhone, Burgundy v Bordeaux, etc etc etc. Lovely service - the sommelier's name's Marco.




I will be back, Le Bistrot Du Sommelier, this time to try their other offerings which are more unusual and will allow me to gauge how good Chef Patrick's cooking can be.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol 100mg tramadol dosage 100mg - buy 200 mg tramadol online

Anonymous said...

buy phentermine phentermine reviews 2012 - phentermine 50 mg online

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!

Extremely useful information specifically the final section :) I take care of such info
much. I used to be seeking this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and good luck.

Take a look at my page :: pattaya bar girl