Friday, November 2, 2012

Symmetry, Jalan Kubor

Methinks I should tone down the NYC posts and feature some posts about places in Singapore lest my readers get bored, since they probably won't be flying to the Big Apple anytime soon. Here's one of my most recent eats, and in fact was the last meal I ate - which is actually rather rare since I usually blog about places that I've eaten many months after I've eaten the food, which is not good practice since the impressions, tastes, etc. get clouded in my memory.

Symmetry is a relatively new cafe located at Jalan Kubor and I have to say it is really a quaint-looking place. The decor is, in my opinion, rather nice, although my friend Y disagreed - I quite liked the brick walls, the colour scheme, etc and in many ways it reminded me of Momofuku Ssam Bar. In a weird way. 

We didn't have much time, so it was really just a quick "lunch" so to speak as my friend Y had to go back to the office for a conference call (yes it's a weekday lunch). Well, we quickly ordered - my friend had a salmon / caper / cream cheese sandwich, a classic combination, while I ordered truffled eggs with bacon, mushrooms, salad - basically a big breakfast. 

The coffee is from Jimmy Monkey, which made me frown since I really don't like the style of coffee that they do - but I ordered a cappuccino anyway. 

The salmon / cream cheese / caper sandwich soon arrived, and it was huge, served with a mountain of fries. I pecked at the fries - no, rather, I kind of devoured the fries - they were quite tasty, salty, with good crisp and soft inside, but they could have done with more potato flavour. No truffle oil.

My big breakfast was rather excellent, I thought. (8.5/10). The scrambled eggs with truffle oil was very delicious, tasty, and soft enough. The mushrooms were done very competently, having enough flavour and salted well enough; the salad with balsamic vinegar was good as well, crisp and light. I enjoyed the bacon which was tasty (really how can you mess up bacon) and the toast was just the right texture for me, crisp and with enough 'bite'.
The cappuccino from Jimmy Monkey however, could have been better - I believe that the problem with their blend is the aftertaste, it has a rather strange aftertaste that doesn't seem to go down very well with me, perhaps it's a lack of acidity or a problem in the roasting. I have recommended some other outlets to them. It's a shame, though, since if their coffee were better, it would have been the perfect brunch spot. Come to think of it, there hasn't been one place in Singapore which serves the perfect combination of good coffee and brunch - Toby's serves great coffee but the brunch is so-so only; 40 hands has good brunch but the coffee is a fail, many of the good joints don't even serve good coffee. Oh, I forgot, stranger's reunion just might be the place for good coffee and brunch though I have yet to try anything else besides the eggs benedict, which were great. 
Anyway, Symmetry is at 9 Jalan Kubor. (one street away from Jalan Pinang). 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I simply say what a comfort to uncover somebody who really knows what they are discussing on the internet.

You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
A lot more people really need to check this out and understand this side of your story.
It's surprising you're not more popular given that
you definitely possess the gift.

Feel free to surf to my web page ... online backup service
my website :: online backup solutions

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?

Here is my weblog ... online backup software
Stop by my webpage :: online backup reviews

Anonymous said...

My relatives every time say that I am killing my time here at web, but I know I am getting experience every day by reading thes fastidious posts.


My web site ... insomnia in spanish
Feel free to visit my web blog : insomnia origin

Anonymous said...

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet viewers, its really really nice piece of writing
on building up new web site.

My website ... insomnia 09
Also visit my website ... insomnia jokes

Anonymous said...

What's up mates, good paragraph and good arguments commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.

Here is my website ... free online backup service
Here is my web site : online backup solutions

Anonymous said...

I simply couldn't leave your website prior to suggesting that I actually loved the usual information a person supply in your visitors? Is gonna be again continuously to check out new posts

Also visit my web-site; online backup free
My web page : online backup service reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months
of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?


Feel free to visit my weblog :: online backup services
Here is my homepage ; online backup reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi there everybody, here every person is sharing such familiarity,
therefore it's fastidious to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this website all the time.

Feel free to visit my blog: insomnia 9 months pregnant
My website :: insomnia vyvanse