Friday, December 14, 2012

Artistry @ Jln Pinang

It seems like so many independent coffee shops are now sprouting up all over the island like mushrooms, when just five years ago you'd be hard-pressed to find any. Then Papa Palheta / Oriole came, and soon the island was replete with cafes. How cool is that. But wow my dream has always been to set up a cafe, but now there are already so many! But I guess, the more the merrier...Okay enough of my musings - today's review is on a relatively new space called Artistry, located at Jalan Pinang, which is just next to Arab Street. (It's also near the jamming studio, for those in the know (BeatMerchants)). The space is airy and well lit (I apologise for the bad photography) and serves as an art space as well, to display works of local art. There's also space for live music performances - and as you can see, there we have a musician restringing his guitar.

Terence of Liberty once posted on his Facebook that the brandy cake here was so good, so I came down wanting to try it. 

Add caption
However, I was successfully distracted by the Lemon Poppy cake that looked ever so appetizing, and was in fact, according to the waiter, the best-seller in the cafe. Hence, I went with it - and, wow, no regrets. Pretty good - tangy, with good texture from the poppy seeds. Moist enough, as well, and not too light (I hate cakes that are too light actually). This was good. Plus it came with some delicious lemon curd which was not too sweet and with just the right texture. (8/10)

The coffee comes from the abovementioned Liberty Coffee - consumed as a Gilbratar, there were notes of chocolate, full-bodied and easy to drink. The usual Liberty-style blend (8/10). The usual. 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it's new
to me. Anyhow, I'm certainly delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be book-marking it and
checking back frequently!

Feel free to visit my blog post - Accelerometer cable