Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Savour 2013 - A roundup

Sorry guys, for the lack of updates on my blog. Work has been busy, definitely. Anyway, here's my roundup of Savour 2013, probably Singapore's premier food festival. Held at the F1 pits from 12 - 14 April 2013, it was quite a spectacle, with internationally renowned chefs, many masterclasses, markets selling all kinds of food, and so on.

It was quite a last minute decision on my part, to attend the event - but well I managed to find some foodie friends and we headed down to Savour 2013 on Saturday night!




I was there early, so I headed to the Gourmet market which featured stalls from renowned local restaurants, such as Absinthe. They were selling oysters for S$10 for 3 pieces, so I figured that, I might as well have some while waiting for my friends. And these were really delicious - they were from Ireland, and they were sweet, fresh, and full of the taste of the sea - with a long lingering finish. I really enjoyed these, and at these prices, can't complain. (8/10) 













My friends soon arrived, and we made our way down to the Gourmet Village. The atmosphere was really nice, like a carnival - well, it was good, until it started raining, which meant that we had to put on our ponchos to avoid being soaked through. There was lightning too. And I was just thinking to myself - what was the wet weather plan? Evidently, there wasn't any save the ponchos.














First up, I tried Jalea de Pescado, which is a traditional fried fish with a sauce made with Peruvian spices; and paired with a dessert. This was from Astrid y Gaston, a restaurant in Peru. I was informed that a local fish was used, but all the spices were flown in from Peru. The sauce was made from an assortment of South American chillis, but tasted rather familiar - somewhat like a mix of local sambal and Thai tom yam. This was quite value for money - (7/10)
















Next up, I went to Hibiscus's booth. Hibiscus is a well-renowned 2-star Michelin restaurant in London and many people have extolled its food. I tried one of the dishes - Foie Gras Ice Cream with sherry vinegar. This was really interesting - very rich and smooth foie gras inside the ice cream, and complemented by the tart sweetness of the sherry which adds some funky flavours. Good stuff, although I wish there was more 'liver' taste to it. (8/10)













We had so many dishes after that that I can't remember the actual order in which we ate them, but here's just a run-through:


Seared scallop and dill vichysoisse from the Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais - basically one seared scallop with a dill dressing, and aerated bits of scallops. I really liked the dill vichysoisse, full of the flavour of the slightly grassy dill. It went well with the scallops, albeit that the scallops was, in my view, a tad overcooked such that it was not as soft as I would have liked. (7.25/10)


















Red Quinoa Risotto, Fried Jerusalem Artichoke Skin and Parsley Sponge from Mirazur, a restaurant in France. This was interesting - the risotto had a good nutty texture, and the wild mushrooms were a delight to eat. I enjoyed the pureed artichoke as well which complemented the risotto very well. Overall a good dish - (7.75/10)
















My friend was working in the kitchen of Mirazur, and hence he gave me a complementary Hibiscus soup with yoghurt sorbet - pretty good. The hibiscus soup was nicely tart (made of frozen strawberries, I heard), and the yoghurt suitably creamy and sweet. (7/10)















Next up, we visited local favourite Gunther's, and we ordered his famed angel-hair pasta with caviar, which is a dish which needs no introduction. The version here was as good as the one I had in the restaurant, perfumed with truffle oil, was just delicious - clean finish, with bits of texture from the chives and the caviar. Again excellent (8.5/10)















What really stood out to me was the gambas - that Gunther himself was preparing on a stove at the front of the stall. It was mighty pricey - S$18 for half a gambas, but it was insanely insanely good. Best dish of the night. The meat was very sweet and tasty, and the roe was just sublime, full of seafood flavours like a well-prepared bisque, full of umami and mixed with the delicious 'innards' of the gambas. Delicious. Best slurped up with a spoon, as Gunther instructed me to do, and I duly obliged. (9/10)













Next up, we ventured to Arbutus / Wild Honey, and we had their 1824 Cottage Pie with beef, with hot smoked potato. This was actually very tasty, despite its less than appetizing looks. There was a rich depth of flavour to it, reminscient of well-cooked beef stew, and a richness of it that wasn't cloying at all. Delicious, and slurp-worthy. (8.25/10)











We were on a beef home-run, and next up was another beef dish: Osia's Short Rib with balsamic burnt butter. This was an excellent rendition from a homegrown chef, Douglas Tay - the meat was tender and fell apart at the pulling of the fork; and exhibited a deep beefiness. The balsamic burnt butter was a masterstroke - the balsamic vinegar, slightly tart, yet with rich complexity, balanced perfectly with the burnt butter which gave it a smoky 'burnt' edge at the end - which complemented the beef very well. Well done. (8.5/10)















Pollen St Social's braised ox cheek, on the other hand, did not fare as well - there was a very generous portion, but I felt the meat lacked that intensity of flavour, even though it was certainly flavourful. But most of the flavour came from the sauce - when you ate the beef alone, it didn't really taste of much. Still, the texture was good - lovely 'gelatinious' bits. (7/10)







Overall, Savour 2013 was a good event, and it shows you that local restaurants such as Gunther and Osia can more than match up with the big boys from France, UK, and the like. Hopefully, for Savour 2014, we will be able to catch really top-ranking chefs display their stuff here. It would be lovely if we could get Thomas Keller, or Eric Ripert, or any of those owners of 3-star michelin restaurants, over to Savour 2014. 

See you guys! 































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

My webpage: トリーバーチ