Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wine and Cheese from Le Benaton

We popped by Omakase burger the other day, and a secondary school friend wanted to eat some cheese, so we swung over to Le Benaton, also located at Turf City. I've heard loads about this place, but never really had a chance to see what it's about. 

Turns out this place sells French wine and cheese, my sorta thing really. We picked a bottle of Burgundy, a Vosnee Romanee 2010, and some cheeses, to be consumed at my friend's place.


The wine wasn't anything special, really - a 2010 Vosnee Romanee that was far too young; lovely sweet aromas on the nose, but a bit too harsh and tannic on the mouth even though there were some fruit flavours. Needs far more aging. At this point - probably a rating would be undeserved.














I had alot of fun with the cheeses though. Many of my friends love Epoisses, and I haven't been able to find a place that sells Epoisses, but thankfully Le Benaton does sell Epoisses. So I bought a small round to try - and it was just sublime, sooo amazing. The king of cheeses - smelly, rotten, funky, savoury, tasty, deep, rich, full of umami, but never boring. (9.5/10). I could eat this all day. 

The other cheeses we had were really nice too - an aged Comte, which made me rekindle my love for Comte - and I realise how important aging is to the cheese. The 15 month aged Comte displayed lovely flavours which I couldn't get from the normal variety.

I guess I have to go back to Le Benaton soon!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I discovered your site by means of Google even as searching for
a comparable subject, your website came up, it seems great.
I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, just turned into aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it is truly informative. I'm gonna be careful for
brussels. I'll be grateful if you happen to proceed this in future. Lots of other folks might be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!
my web site - check this web