Sunday, August 18, 2013

Social Eating House, London

Dear readers of my food blog, I'm in London right now trying out the very best this glorious city has to offer. Rather than blogging only when I return, as I used to do, I have decided to blog on the go from London so that the memory of the meal I am reviewing remains fresh and alive in my consciousness and in order that I will be better able to gauge the wow factor of the meal instead of drawing from memory.

first up, I would like to introduce you to one of the best set lunches I have has in recent memory, at Social Eating House which is a four month old restaurant owned by Jason Atherton of Pollen Street Social fame (and who also set up Pollen in Singapore). We were looking for some cheap bargain set lunches and as I read thecriticalcouple's review of this place (a glowing review, mind), I decided that I had to come. Three courses for 21 quid represents extremely good value for money at this level, especially for London.

We were ushered into a dimly lit dining room - and the service was excellent - warm and friendly. 

We both started with the same starter - saddleback (pork) with honey mustard. This was a great dish - the pork had a very intense robust "porky" flavor with a long aftertaste, while there were pieces of pork crackling which were equally enjoyable, and also mustard  cutting through the richness. not particularly inventive but very well executed. (8/10)


My friend had the beef while I ordered a wild bream with pasta and saffron, and artichoke (thanks ice). The bream was excellent - very well salted on the skin, and with quite a strong flavor especially for fish. Very flavourful and delicious. Lovely and again spot on in the execution. (8.5/10)


And for dessert both of us had a hazelnut mousse which again boasted great flavour. A salted caramel eclair accompanied it - delicious too. (7.5/10)
I ordered a slice of Livarot as well - since I am partial to smelly cheese.

Overall this place comes very highly recommended. It's delicious, it's cheap, it represents good value. Would definitely return. 

Social Eating House
58 Poland Street 
Soho
London

No comments: