Tuesday, April 1, 2014

63 Celsius, Asia Square

Since I work near the area (Shenton Way), I often frequent 63 Celsius for my daily coffee dose - they use beans from the top roasters in Singapore, including without limitation Nylon Coffee Roasters, Smitten Coffee, Strangers' Reunion, and behind the machine is coffee veteran Tony Tan who is renowned in the industry. Thus, the coffees here are always consistent and tasty. Today, however, was one of the rare occasions when I decided to have lunch here to try out their new offerings. Their chef used to work at a famous Barcelona restaurant Montiel (yes I visited it when I was in Barcelona) and obviously has some good street cred and chops.


My friend and I ordered a Josper grill pork ribs (it came with a half pint of Asahi under the Citibank promotion) which was amazingly tender and fall-off-the-bone, with a good porky flavour and simply succulent, although I would have preferred it to be more charred. Still good: 7.5/10



















The star of the show was undoubtedly the Burrata Burger ("Hand crushed, Josper charcoal grilled 120 grams USDA beef topped with truffled burrata, fresh tomato, asparagus ketchup on brioche bun. Served with seasoned fries"). This was awesome and as good as a burger you'll find in Singapore. It had everything: the beef had a great beefy flavour, very robust and flavourful, and this was contrasted with the burrata which was slightly tangy and sour and creamy, paired up with the tomatoes - the burrata and the beef complimented each other perfectly and in fact each element seemed to bring out the best in the other elements - the combination of slightly sour and tangy burrata with the beefy patty was a joy to eat. (8.75/10)

I would certainly come back for the food here - can't wait to try the other tapas. Cheers.





No comments: