Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chikuwa Tei Revisited

Chikuwa Tei (Mohammad Sultan Road) has since changed management, and in fact someone I know is one of the partners of the restaurant at this juncture. Being a food critic, the fact that my friend owns the place doesn't make me lower my standards - conversely, I am even more stringent in my appraisal of the restaurant since I know that my comments may be used to improve the food standards of the restaurant and therefore has a direct impact.

The first few times when I visited the place (after the change in management), I found the fish slightly sub-par, perhaps because the fish was cut too thickly making it rather hard to chew, as it would simply squish in my mouth and it was impossible to savour the flavours of the fish.

The reason he gave actually is that many people visit chikuwa tei expecting very thick cuts of fish and therefore once the fish isn't cut so thickly, people complain to the management insinuating that chikuwa tei has "cheated" them of fish.


(That's rather short sighted, since I could cut you very thick slices of fish but give you less pieces of fish right)


This time I went, though, I specifically requested that the fish be sliced more thinly, and hey presto - it is so much better! The chirashi bowl I had was excellent: the salmon firm and fresh, the swordfish, tuna and yellowtail all tasty and full of fish oils and certainly fresh. I think a lot of it has to do with the relatively-thinner slicing such that the tongue has the opportunity to savour all the flavours of the fish. I would give this chirashi don a (8/10).

For all you future visitors of Chikuwa Tei who intend to eat their chirashi don - try their thin sliced version!

Anyway, Chikuwa Tei is still a very dependable place to go to for good value chirashi and other dishes. 

1 comment:

rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com said...

Hello, I am a follow of your blog, and wanted to nominate you for Singapore Blog Awards, but I couldn't find your email address. Consider this a nomination then. Register at http://sgblogawards.omy.sg

Hope we can meet up for a meal someday. :)