Thursday, September 25, 2014

Legendary Hong Kong, Jurong Point

This place was interesting, and apparently the owner was so enamoured with Four Season's roasted duck (the Chinese restaurant in Bayswater and London's Chinatown, not the hotel chain) that he went to source for the same ducks (which come from Ireland) for his roast ducks. As I was in the area, I decided to try the wonton noodles, as my parents had already prepared dinner at home. How would it compare with the real Hong Kong deal, especially as they have branded themselves as the real thing away from the real place?



The decor certainly appeared quite authentic: reminiscent of an old-school Hong kong canteen, like the one you see on TV shows.







And how was the food? I quite enjoyed the HK Milk tea - this was rich and creamy with enough fragrance and bitterness to cut through the sweetness. Quite well balanced and apparently quite like the real thing. Apparently the person in charge of the milk tea has been doing this for a good number of years and it really showed: 8/10.











What was not so good was the Wonton noodles. Granted, I didn't expect it to be Mak's, or even Tasty - but this was a far cry from what I was expecting. The noodles were too springy and clumpy, and the soup was quite tasteless, tasting more of MSG than anything. 5/10. No depth of flavour and just slightly salty, rather than having that essence of prawn broth that I was expecting. The Tasty at the Hong Kong International Airport is far better. For wonton noodles, I would definitely recommend Noodle Place Restaurant which serves the best version by far.

I'll come back to visit the place for the roast duck, and I hope that doesn't fail me. 


No comments: