Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sanpoutei, Shaw Centre


Many people, including DanielFoodDiary and my personal ramen-loving friend, have given positive reviews of Sanpoutei, which has two branches which are located in Holland Village and Shaw Centre, so over the course of one week (incidentally, two Friday nights being sad and lonely) I visited both outlets to try the chow.


The first Friday, I visited the Shaw Centre outlet at around 7pm - and the queue was super long. I should have known, I guess. I waited for about half an hour before managing to grab myself a seat at the table, to try their Nigata ramen. 

I ordered the Nigata Shoyu Ramen - which came with a light soy-based broth which was pretty tasty and umami, and was pretty good; adorned with flat wiry noodles and delicious egg. Loved the menma (bamboo shoots) as well. This is a 8/10

Okay - I wasn't blown away, probably because I much prefer something a bit more full bodied, but this was good for what it is. At least you could finish the soup without feeling "jerlak" (or bloated).

The Shaw centre outlet was done up very well - very tastefully decorated (being the newer of the two outlets). A picture is uploaded to show you how it looks.











The next Friday, I headed over to the Holland V Sanpoutei outlet; and ordered the tsukumen (dipping noodles). The sauce was flavoured with sardines and had chunks of sardines in it; very umami and quite tasty (flavoured with fish). The noodles were wiry enough to allow the sauce to coat it; and the eggs and menma were again of top quality. The only grouse I had was that there was not enough of the sauce - sadly. Overall about 8/10 also; although I would have liked more sauce. 



The outlet was slightly more cramped - but it was still fine.

Overall Sanpoutei is one of the top ramen joints in Singapore - for the shoyu style - and I hope they continue to maintain their standards. 





No comments: