Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bourke Street Bakery, Sydney


Greetings from Sydney! Always bustling, always busy, and it hasn't changed every since I visited it some 10 years ago. Truth be told, I haven't seen much of it yet, but something feels very familiar and foreign at the same time. I just landed and I figured that I should blog on the go as opposed to on hindsight, as I wanted to write when my memory is still fresh.



Today we visited Bourke Street Bakery which is located in Surry Hills (southeast of the Central Station). Much has been said and done about this famous bakery which has launched 4 different branches all around the world; and I must say that it does live up to the hype.

I didn't expect the place to be so small: it was tiny, housing perhaps 3-4 tables inside, and a couple more outside. We had the famous Chocolate Milk which was sooo good - really rich thick Belgian chocolate mixed with milk, chilled, made for a very decadent treat. (8.5/10). 




We ordered three tarts to share. The first we tried was the Lemon Curd Tart, and this was really the tart to beat. Very tangy, zesty lemon curd - with a zest and energy that straddles between the tart and the sweet but yet offering an additional dimension in the form of some spice? My descriptive skills aren't up to the mark to describe this tart. I would have loved the tart base to be a bit more burnt but that's just a personal preference of mine. Overall this was a 8.5/10












My friend liked the cherry tart alot, I thought it was okay. Fragrant cherries with almonds. 7.5/10. Perhaps overshadowed by the rest.



















And the piece de resistance was the famous Ginger Brulee tart which had me jumping for joy inside. There was a decadent caramelised crust, with some pistachos on top; and underpinning everything was some warm spiced ginger. The first bite - the burnt caramel; giving way to the curd of warm ginger. A great combination, just brilliant. (8.75/10)

Was it worth the almost an hour trek from where I am staying? Hell yeah. A better option for future travels would be to arrive in Surry Hills for one of the amazing lunches, and then adjourn to Bourke Street for tea.

Exceptional.







No comments: