Saturday, February 14, 2015

Chat Thai, Sydney

This is going to be a picture-less post since my iPhone ran out of battery.

I attended the Sydney Symphonic Orchestra's performance of Schumann 1 and 2 and Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto on Saturday night (Valentine's day), and I needed something to eat thereafter. Decided to check out Chat Thai since it's reputed to be the best Thai in Sydney. Headed over at 11pm - there was still a queue. Fortunately didn't wait long, I was ushered to my seat some 15 min later.

Ordered the som tahm (papaya salad) and the Pad See-Eu (kway teow with kai lan and chicken with dark sweet sauce). Managed to snag some Pad-thai from a couple next to me who generously offered some. And mango-sticky rice to finish off.

The som tahm was excellent, one of the best I've eaten. Lots of flavour, lots of fish sauce, sweet, savoury, tart, all combined together. Great stuff. (8.5/10)

The pad-see-ew was alright, I would have liked it a bit sweeter to get more of that caramelised taste of the kway teow. Still, it was not bad, good wok-hei. (7.75/10).

The pad-Thai was great; enough sweetness to coat the thin noodles, addictive; good crunch from the beansprouts, and everything going together very well. (8.25/10).

Mango sticky rice: good stuff as well. (7.75/10).

This is pretty darn good Thai and I can see why the lines are long every night. I can't imagine myself waiting 1 hour or so for food though!

No comments: