Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eastern House of Seafood Delicacy

Had an awesome time praising God and listening to Rev Chris Chia at the Easter outreach at the Singapore Expo, so we were in the East and needed to find something to eat, hopefully something that is worth the calories i.e. delicious. I did a search for "food", "east", "singapore", to hopefully find something that would be good, and I saw many bloggers who I respect blog about "Eastern House of Seafood Delicacy", so I decided to try the restaurant out to see what it's like.

The place (55 Chai Chee Drive) turned out to be a Kopitiam located in the middle of a HDB estate in Chai Chee. Thankfully we now have Google Maps, because it was really rather ulu and far away from any other landmark. Even the cab driver made a wrong turn. Thankfully it wasn't too crowded, and so I thought - this could be a really good lunch.

I wasn't wrong. 

There were three of us, and we ordered the following dishes:
(1) Assam Fish Head - it came highly recommended;
(2) KL-Style Hokkien Mee;
(3) Salted Egg Prawns; and
(4) Egg Soup.


The KL Hokkien Mee, for me, was the standout: the sauce was flavourful with alot of lard, and the noodles done right, and everything was just spot on. I wouldn't have minded more 'wok hei' in the dish, but still, a pretty good effort. Very flavourful sauce. (8.25/10)



The Assam Fish Head was not bad; the fish was very fresh, that must be said, but personally I would have preferred a far spicier assam gravy; this one was rather sweet. The Forture Assam Fish Head still wins in my opinion. (7/10)
The egg soup came with seafood and some pork slices. Rather tasty and comforting as well although the flavours were not what one'd call distinctive in any way. (7/10)
Lastly, the salted egg prawns were great; coated with a savoury salted egg sauce and deep fried. Extremely unhealthy, however; the prawns though were very good - there was much roe in the heads even. (7.75/10)

Certainly a very respectable cze char, and one that I'll come back again if I'm ever in the East again. Cheers. 



No comments: