Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hayashi はやし, Tokyo


Hayashi Ramen was pretty highly-rated on Tabelog, and so when I needed a good ramen option near Shibuya where I was staying, I decided to hit up Hayashi to see what the fuss was about. 


There was a (predictably) long queue at around 1pm when I visited for lunch, comprising some students, salarymen, and tourists like me.

Over here, there aren't that many options for you to try. It's just the basic ramen, or basic ramen with toppings.

Sometimes that's better, since it saves me the trouble of having to choose. I hate choosing.

The ramen was really delicious. The noodles are relatively firm and of medium thickness; the egg was impeccably done. The char siew had a good pork flavour even though it wasn't quite so sophisticated. But the star was the broth, and what a delicious broth it was. The broth was very flavourful, consisting of a blend of chicken and fish stock with a hint of citrus - powerful, smooth and tasty. There was a very harmonious balance between the chicken bone depth, shoyu, and the fish stock, the kind of flavourful broth you could sip all day and not get sick of it. Gorgeous. (8.75/10)




No comments: