Thursday, March 3, 2016

Beauty in the Pot

Hotpot in Singapore's getting very popular these days: I guess steamboat was always consumed by Singaporeans especially at Chinese New Year, but Hai Di Lao and Imperial Treasure took the steamboat/hotpot up a few notches, with premium ingredients, many different types of broths, condiments, and the like. So what truly differentiates one hotpot chain from another? For me, the broth is of primary importance, since it's the thing that flavours all the ingredients that are dipped into the broth. 
Paradise Group opened "Beauty in the Pot" at 1KM mall, and its selling point is the shark cartilage and pork bone soup that's full of collagen. It was really delicious - I had almost six or seven bowls of the intense and rich broth, which was very tasty and robust without being too heavy or "jerlak".

As for the ingredients, the beef and pork were all good but nothing out of the ordinary, nothing you can't get at Hai Di Lao or some of the other chains. What was really good was the deep fried beancurd which, when dipped in the soup, was really pretty scrumptious. It's a must order. I also liked the handmade balls and the fish pastes as well. 

Overall, I think Beauty in the Pot trumps Hai Di Lao (I haven't tried Imperial Treasure yet so I can't gauge that), and it's well worth a visit. Excellent. (8.5/10)


No comments: